Re: [TowerTalk] How do you move a gin pole *safely* up the tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How do you move a gin pole *safely* up the tower?
From: "Mike Murphy" <wa4bpj@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:36:29 -0400
Rusty,
My gin pole is rigged so I can transfer the rope and pulley between the
tower and the top of the gin pole. That lets my ground crew use a single
rope for all lifting, both tower sections and the gin pole. The cycle to
install a tower section is:

1) Start with the gin pole attached to the top of the tower, fully extended
with the rope and pulley attached to the top of the pole and the end of the
haul rope on the ground, attached to the tower section to be raised.
2) Raise, set and bolt on the next section.
3) Leaving the gin pole extended, climb the newly installed section, detach
the end of the haul rope from the tower and then transfer the pulley from
the gin pole to the top of the new tower section.
4) Climb down with the end of the haul rope and attach it to the gin pole
clamp, lower the gin pole in the clamp, detach the clamp from the tower and
have the ground crew haul the pole and clamp to the top of the tower.
5) Attach the gin pole clamp to the tower, transfer the pulley and rope from
the tower to the top of the gin pole, detach the end of the haul rope from
the gin pole clamp and then extend the gin pole and once the pole is
extended, the ground crew uses the tag line to pull the end of the haul rope
to the ground and rig the next section for lifting.

The key to this method is that the haul rope can't be rigged through the
center of the gin pole and the pulley is attached with a clip so it can be
easily transferred between the gin pole and tower. Those constraints may
make this technique useless to you. I spend a few minutes on the actual
transfer of the gin pole from one tower section to the next. I never handle
any of the weight of the pole and it's always in the lowered position during
the transition when it's not clamped to the tower.

Good luck, take your time and be careful.

73,
Mike, wa4bpj