Re: [TowerTalk] weather proofing

To: "'Craig Clark'" <jcclark@wildblue.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] weather proofing
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:32:19 -0500
When I put up my tower I used the previously mentioned method of wrapping
entirely with 3M 33 or 88 tape (Home Depot has it), followed by a layer of
ScotchKote, (let dry) followed by another layer of 3M 33 or 88 tape. I
always use a pigtail on my antennas so all of them have a barrel
connector...only once had a failure in 50 years. I used a real cheap barrel
(not amphenol and I fried it - high SWR). I never had a good one go.

Always cut the 3M tape, never tear it you teeth or pull it apart. Don't
stretch the tape when putting it on or it will eventually pull loose and
flutter in the breeze.

Not a weather proofing issue, but 3M also makes lots of different colored
tape now and you can color code everything with it. On long runs of coax, I
put a couple of rounds of the same color on both ends. It is real convenient
for old folks like me with faulty memories! I don't know if the 33/88 come
in colors or not. The colored tape I have is 3M but NOT 33/88 so not good
for connectors.

Bill, W5VX