Re: [TowerTalk] Insulators

To: ron@k4wz.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insulators
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:38:48 -0700
From: "Ron Todd" <ron@k4wz.com>
Does anyone know what the rating is on the insulators that the power company
uses so far as how much tention that can be put on them ?
The ones I have are about 4 foot long.
Thanks    K4wz

Hi Ron,

I had some of the chains of disk ceramic insulators, some years back, and
printing,  etched into the ceramic disks were load ratings, I think they
were 10,000 lbs.   I was surprised at how high the load capacity was.   It
appeared that there was some sort of epoxy between the galvanized steel
links, and the ceramic disks, at the center clevis pin to ceramic junctions.

By the way, these kinds of insulators are the frequent insulator source of
radio noise, and are being replaced gradually with something called an
epoxilator, a different design that does not have clevis pin links between
metal parts.   The Radio noise generation mechanisms involve corrosion, and
looseness in the clevis pin connections with the galvanized structural
hardware--- Not dirt or grime, etc on the ceramic insulator surfaces.

You might be able to find similar load data etched on the ceramic parts of
your insulators.

Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team