Re: [TowerTalk] masts with steps

To: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] masts with steps
From: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:19:28
Mark,
That's exactly how I do it but I knew the day would come when the "pucker
factor" would be too much for me to climb 2" masts. That's why I started
with 3" high strength steel with 1/4 inch wall and have never regreted the
extra cost. There's no "funny feeling" when climbing.   YMMV........
73 Hardy N7RT

At 06:52 PM 7/22/2007 -0500, Mark Beckwith wrote:
>Masts with steps are sometimes the right solution for the situation.  Here
are photos of three installations I put in back when I did this sort of
thing, and frankly if you can get past "that odd feeling" of climbing the
actual stick, it works really well!  It IS an odd feeling, though.

>http://www.n5ot.com/mastwithsteps/
>
>Yes, those are some large yagis.  All of these installations have been up
for well over 10 years.

>All of these masts are 2.0" OD .25" wall Chrome Molly from the local steel
tubing supplier.  Two of these bad boys are 24' masts and one is a 16'
mast.  I would not climb an aluminum mast, I just wouldn't.  That would be
TOO funny a feeling when it fell over.

>The steps are all made from 2" angle aluminum that is .25" thick.  The
steps are 12" long and mounted with two "HD" muffler clamps.  I use 2"
muffler clamps but I have known purists to use 1.875" muffler clamps
because they still fit around a 2" mast and have less play.  2" ones have
more play, but mine don't slip because I tighten the #$%^ out of them.  2"
muffler clamps are easier to find over the counter.