Re: [TowerTalk] Masts with steps

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Masts with steps
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:27:44 -0400 (EDT)
I have no problem climbing a couple of feet up a mast on a "real"
tower, but my Glen Martin 17' rooftop tower worries me when I have to
get all the way up.  I'm afraid the whole top of the tower is going to
bend catastrophically at or just below the level of the rotor, 3' from
the top.

I really should run numbers to see what kind of bending moment I have
when the antennas subjected to a substantial wind, and I suspect I'll
come up with a number that'll make me less worried.

Given that Glen Martin says 12 square feet of antenna at 87 mph, is
there an easy way to turn that into a measurement of force?
I suspect that they caveat that rating by specifying that the antenna
is right at the top of the tower, so there'd be very little bending
moment from the mast.

Note that Glen Martin has and advertises a "climbing lattice" on one
side, but the documents that come with the tower say to not climb the
tower.

I'm not worried about the mast at all, and I have a "medium duty"
mast.  (but then I've climbed a skysail mast to 100 feet up, at sea in
the Southern Ocean).

73, doug

   Message: 8
   Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:21:50 -0000
   From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>

   Greg, Carl et al,
   I like climbing and am perfectly happy climbing towers, rocks, constructed
   walls, etc...I spent most of a beautiful Friday evening and most of an even
   more beautiful Saturday this weekend up on my tower and roof doing antenna
   and tower work...I am a twice certified Climbing Director by the Boy Scouts
   of America...I teach climbing to youngsters and adults...but there are
   limits...I don't like climbing things that move...not ice, not really tall
   trees and NOT 2 inch masts!
   I agree with the sensation of climbing things like a mast...when I need to
   stand on top of the tower to tighten bolts on an H-frame to a mast, I GET
   THE POINT that this is really NOT GOOD!