[TowerTalk] Why copper ground road and not stainless???

To: TT Forum <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Why copper ground road and not stainless???
From: Beat Meier <mbe_ml@swiss-wireless.com.ar>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:22:23 -0300
Hello

Why everybody is using copper ground roads?
The ground roads I can get here have a minimal copper layer which sometimes
if you drive this in earth will peel without any problems or if there are
many stones it is scratched badly and oxidation of steel will go reapidly.
Experiences from an electrical here told me that his road installed was
not anymore after 1.5 year :-(
Apart from that copper is more expensiv than stainless
(at least here in Argentina).
Why not use stainless "roads" but not even round so we will have much
more contact to earth say a stainless road like an V:

   /\
 /   \
/      \

with side of about 1.25'' (3cm) and thickness of 1/8'' (3mm)

Why people are not using such roads?

Of course the other question is how to connect the copper wire to this road.
Is there a "bad" redox reaction?

BTW: The idea is a grounding system for an antenna for lightning protection
(see next article)

Greetings

Beat