Re: [TowerTalk] Sweet spot locations:

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sweet spot locations:
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:24:56 -0500
"They purposely built  a 5/8 wavelength radiator design in order to
suppress
higher lobe radiation causing selective fading at a particular radius from
the antenna. "

Actually WSM started out with something close to 5/8 wave, 878 feet.
That does have some high angle lobes, and apparently those lobes were
causing the fading problem because they were recombining with the ground
wave at about 130 miles.  They then shortened the antenna to something
close to 1/2 wavelength, 808 feet, which gives all low angle radiation
with no high angle lobes.

Did you notice the efficiency number for their transmitter? 90%.

Jerry, K4SAV