[TowerTalk] galvanize v. paint

To: "T talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] galvanize v. paint
From: "Arthur Trampler" <atrampler@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:43:31 -0500
The good news: the XYL has gotten past her revulsion of guy-wires, even on our
small lot with too many trees in the wrong place.

The bad news: she wants the guy wires elevated so our 14 year-old will not
decapitate himself before he begins thinking again in the next two or three
years.

Tower: simple Glen Martin 50' tower, 18" face, with Hazer.  Single guy at top
of tower.

Antenna load: small tri-band yagi, 6.5 square feet.

Supports: 4" flange x 4" deep steel I-beam, 3' in concrete, 7' above.

In short, the beams are about $65 each, and galvanizing adds another $60 each,
pluse $150 shipping for all three.

I also have a custom-made, two-piece folding mount for my AV640 vertical I
would have galvanized at the same time.  That 20' structure weighs closer to
300lbs.

So galvanizing all these will add about $500 to the project.  Have any of you
had your items galvanized, or do you think it's a waste of money and painting
is "just" as good.

Thanks,
Art, KC2G