Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld Question

To: "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>,"Tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld Question
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:24:16 -0700
At 02:20 PM 7/31/2007, Mark Robinson wrote:
>I was looking at the Cadweld procedure and was wondering if it is possible
>to use my oxy-acetylene torch to heat up the cadweld material instead of
>messing with pyrotechnic chemicals.
>
>What is the base material that they use to join the rod and copper wire?

copper.

It's a thermite reaction.. powdered aluminum and copper oxide reacts
to form aluminum oxide and copper with a lot of heat.

You could probably just braze it with any sort of reasonably high
conductivity rod (moderate silver content), or, heck, if you can
figure out what sort of flux to use, copper rod.. it's just welding
(where welding is defined as joining using a weld metal that is the
same as the parent metal being bonded).