Re: [TowerTalk] CRITTERS AND CABLES

To: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>,"Craig Clark" <jcclark@wildblue.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CRITTERS AND CABLES
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:52:36 -0400
I havent had them chew on my well pipes yet (I have 2 wells) but they get
into everything else. Mostly squirrels and chipmunks (ground squirrels to
y'all country)

The ONLY thing that works is lead poisoning as in a 22 or air rifle. You
cant poison chipmunks with anything over the counter and as soon as you kill
a pack off others move in so its a constant battle. I kill 25-35 a year and
a neighbor does about the same. We both get about 10 squirrels.

All cables from the towers are elevated 12' above ground and supported from
1/4" EHS; RF cables are all CATV hardline and a few Andrew ones. It looks
like Radio Pelham according to a neighbor.

 I had to go to 1/2" hardline for the Beverages since those all run on the
ground to a relay box. One run back to the house that joins the bundle from
one of the towers. I lost several runs of flooded RG-6 and RG-11 before the
switch.

The critter damage is now limited to the garages and other outbuildings in
the warm months; if I thin the population way down there is no winter
problem. Lots of mouse poison has also eliminated a lot of problems.

Carl
KM1H