Re: [TowerTalk] RG-6 quality ?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-6 quality ?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:22:40 -0700
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 01:09:43 -0400, Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:

>What can I expect as far as variation in cable quality at UHF if I buy
>RG-6 at Home Depot or Lowes or Circuit City?

An issue more important than loss is making good connections to it. The
stuff they sell in these retail houses is designed for MATV and CATV, for
use with very good crimp connectors. They have Al shields, not copper, so
you can't solder the connectors. DX Eng sells very good F connectors and a
decent crimper, but you don't have time for shipping. :)  The same company
also makes crimp BNCs for those cables. Another tricky deal -- the crimp
connectors are matched to the exact diameter and shield construction of the
RG6. The wrong size WILL come apart. (This is experience talking). :)

For your purposes (35 ft) I wouldn't worry about the loss. But I would
worry about the termination.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC