Re: [TowerTalk] RG-6 quality ?

To: TowerTalk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-6 quality ?
From: Bob Nielsen <n7xy@clearwire.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 08:27:02 -0700
On Aug 2, 2007, at 10:09 PM, Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:

> What can I expect as far as variation in cable quality at UHF if I buy
> RG-6 at Home Depot or Lowes or Circuit City?
>
> I need a 35-40' run of something with less loss than RG-58 by Saturday
> to play around with a new antenna I built in the UHF contest, and it
> seems like RG-6 could be sufficient (about 1.5dB loss in 35 feet
> according to VK1OD's line calculator).
>
> I wonder if those who have more experience using it know if something
> like 4.3dB/100ft is the best case for a good RG-6, or more like the
> "normal" loss for commodity RG-6, and if it's the former, do you have
> any ideas for local sources for *good* cable?
>
> Thanks and 73,
> Dan

I haven't used RG-6 much for ham applications, but have hundreds of
feet installed for satellite TV here.  There are several reputable
brands, such as Belden, Commscope, etc., but a lot of junk also.
Satellite applications go much higher in frequency than cable TV and
you might look for cable which has been sweep-tested (often up to 3
GHz).  Connectors are also important.  I recommend using compression
connectors, rather than crimp.  These are water-resistant and don't
deform the cable when making a termination. Thomas & Betts Snap-N-
Seal is a good brand and have BNC as well as the usual F-type
connectors.

I found some fairly decent cable (I don't recall the brand) and
DataShark connectors and compression tool at my local Home Depot.

73, Bob N7XY