[TowerTalk] re 25G base insulator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] re 25G base insulator
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:31:11 +0000
Hi,

AM broadcast stations don't use 25 all that often so insulators for it are kind of unusual. Rohn used to make a bottom taper and insulator so you might give them a try, or whoever is making the R25 hardware these days.

Because the station wants to use 25, I'm making a few assumptions--the tower is going to be around 90 degrees and in the higher part of the band so it isn't very tall; maybe not even lamped and painted. You say the f/p I is 5.5 amps. Assuming a f/p Z of around 36 ohms it looks like a 1 KW station (this has nothing to do with the insulator--I'm just having some fun). I would be a bit uncomfortable with separate leg inulators at the base. Any AM R25 tower is still gg to be pretty tall for the face width. I'd look into Austin insulators for a single point ceramic insulator and see if they have anything. They took over making the Lapp line I believe. A small 7 inch long Austin might be the ticket depending on the download.

http://www.austininsulators.com/radio/product.html

btw, AM tower sections are often tac welded together.

73,

rob / k5uj

Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more?.then map the best route! http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01