[TowerTalk] Cushraft ASL2010 Balun (MN2010)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushraft ASL2010 Balun (MN2010)
From: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 18:41:21 -0400
The lightning strike that destroyed my GP-15 vertical at the top of the
tower has also caused an elevated SWR on my Cushcraft ASL2010 log. Where the
pre-strike SWR was from 1.3-2.0 across its bandwidth, it's now 2.0-5.0. I've
checked it on the other side of the PolyPhaser to make sure that wasn't the
problem.

That pretty much leaves the coax, the balun, or the log itself. Unless there
is carbon across a spacer, I doubt that it's the antenna itself. It'll be
easy enough to test the coax (LMR400) once I lower the tower and lay it
over. Presuming it isn't the coax, that leaves the balun.

The Cushcraft part number for the balun is MN2010; aside from calling it a
"matching network", there isn't any information about it in the manual. I
didn't find any mention of it in the TowerTalk archives either.

Does anyone know anything about the MN2010? I'm particularly interested in
its ratio (1:1, 4:1, etc.).

Tnx,
Doug
K4AC