Re: [TowerTalk] Ground System

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground System
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:31:12 -0500
K8RI's assessment of the grounding problem is right on.  I would like to
add a few comments.

Current waveforms for lightning simulation is not always the same.
Different waveforms are used for different purposes, depending on the
maximum waveforms expected in a particular application.   Since towers
are right out there in the open, they see a variety of possible
waveforms.  Cables coming off the tower have modified waveforms.

Here is some data on some measured lightning waveforms.
http://plaza.ufl.edu/rakov/ICLP2000/positive1.16.pdf
As you can see the pulse width measured can vary a lot, and also there
can exist a continuing current after the initial big pulse that may be
hundreds to tens of thousands of amps for periods up to 10 ms.  So,
although you do have a lot of energy at 1 MHz and higher, there can also
a lot of energy present even down in the audio frequency range.  Not all
lightning strikes have the same waveform.

Inductance of long cables does very little for these long continuing
currents.  Hopefully most of this will go into the ground at the tower,
but there is going to be some traveling down the cables, no matter how
long the cables are. It is the low frequency components that are
responsible for most of the burning associated with lightning. Coax
shields won't take very much current before they melt. A large ground
wire will lower the impedance between the tower and the common point
ground, as well as reduce the voltage drop for these low frequency
components.

As most people know, but tend to forget at times, don't believe
everything you read.  In some cases it may even be written by someone
who should know better. The Polyphaser book has several errors in the
lightning area.  The most glaring one is in their calculation of current
distribution on guyed towers and in cables.  By their calculations two
runs of RG8 down the tower would have the same inductance as a 35
inch-face tower. That leads to the conclusion that, to half the voltage
drop down your tower all you have to do is run two coax lines down it.
This should be obviously incorrect, even to a casual observer. You can
end up with some large errors if you neglect mutual inductance.

Also you can get some information about voltage drops by only using
di/dt, as Polyphaser did, but that doesn't give enough information to
draw real conclusions, because it considers only one part of a
waveform.  As a minimum, a SPICE simulation will produce closer results,
but that too is only an approximation, because it also only considers
one portion of what is happening.  To calculate something closer to
reality it has to be done by calculating the fields involved, probably
using the method of moments. Here is one article using that approach.
http://www.lightning.ece.ufl.edu/PDF/Kordietal2003.pdf
Notice you will have to modify what was done in this article by
substituting the appropriate waveform for the stimulus.

Jerry, K4SAV