Re: [TowerTalk] Vibrator for 2x2x4 hole?

To: "Dana Roode" <dana.roode@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vibrator for 2x2x4 hole?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:37:46 -0400

> Folks - for a 2x2x4' Rohn 25 base concrete foundation, do I need to
> use a concrete vibrator during the concrete pour?

A vibrator is to get rid of any air pockets in the pour.
The need for a vibrator depends on how dry the mix is and how it's poured.
Often the new, high strength concrete is poured with a minumum of water
which even requires a shaker to get the stuff down the chute and there a
vibrator is essential. With a more conventional pour I just use a plain old
fashioned garden variety hoe.  You have to work fast, but it doesn't take
much.   Contrary to popular belief you are not tamping, but only working out
the air pockets. In small holes I've used no more than a broom handle with
*wet* concrete.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)