Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain pushup masts for 80m verticals?

To: km1h@jeremy.mv.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain pushup masts for 80m verticals?
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:24:38 +0000
I bought two 50 foot steel pushups from an outfit in Memphis 2 years ago when I was down there--they were the last ones they had. I got them for $90 each--they took $30 off to get rid of them. Last year, Burghardt had rohn H50s in stock. I don't know how many. I did not pursue it with them because the cost of getting them here made getting them pointless. If you get them shipped, they usually wind up on a truck loose (even collapsed they are too long for UPS) and they wind up getting too banged up to be useable. I guess they are getting hard to get because the demand is no longer there. Folks in fringe TV coverage areas who used to get these 50 footers for TV now have cable.

<<If using a steel mast then first calculate the RF resistance at the frequency of operation. The RF integrity at the various junctions is also far from ideal.>>

Correct. When you put one up as an antenna you have to deal with that.

<<<Aluminum is still the best for a radiator>>>

I'll alert the broadcast industry.

<<<and with several others helping on the guys that HyGain mast should go up OK. They wouldnt be selling them if they didnt work.>>>

Hygain is owned by MFJ now. Oh, it will work. For awhile. I'm trying to help him put up something that lasts. Here's a few others for you: Isotron, GAP, EH antenna, Gotham....they work too (sort of).

<<<One way to secure the sections is to drill a small hole thru the louvered part of the hose clamp into the mast and secure with a SS #6 self tapping screw. Dont use a screwdriver to tighten the clamps, a socket on a ratchet wrench gives more torque. Assemble the sections with a small amount of Penetrox or similar to protect against corrosion.>>>

I agree except for the socket wrench part. Great way to destroy a cheap hose clamp.

73,

rob / k5uj

Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more?.then map the best route! http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&ss=yp.bars~yp.pizza~yp.movie%20theater&cp=42.358996~-71.056691&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=950607&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01