[TowerTalk] Swinging Link Antenna Tuner Not Working

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Swinging Link Antenna Tuner Not Working
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 05:16:18 -0700 (PDT)
A year ago I did a number of tests on swinging link coil, type tuners... I
found that for todays 50 ohm, fixed tune, transceivers I always needed a series
cap on the link coil to cancel the reactance...  I know that my old DX100B with
it's pi-net output had no problems loading a swinging link without a series
cap... Of course that was 1963 and I had more hair...

  Anyway, the whole point of my experiments was for designing a series of
motorized, balanced, link coupled, antenna tuners... I got rid of the swinging
link as a series cap has a much wider tuning/coupling range than the variable
coil... We currently have three of these tuners out in the woods for 80 meters
and just finished building tuner #4 (for 160 meters - a thing of beauty)...  It
is motorized (of course), has a fixed link coil wound inside of the tank
coil... Uses a series cap on the link of some 2,800 puffs...

  So, to answer your question, based on my empiric testing you will have to
have a series cap..

  denny / k8do