Re: [TowerTalk] Leesburg Log Periodic

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Leesburg Log Periodic
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 05:53:20 -0400
The antenna is located at the FAA's Leesburg en route control center
(ARTCC).  Each of the 24 centers has one almost identical to it.  FAA
uses HF as a back up link between centers,  The LPDA is 3-30 Mhz. The
Leesburg  antenna is usually pointed at the New York ARTCC.  All are
rotatable.  If I remember correctly they run up to 5 kw transmitters.
It can also be used to contact off shore aircraft on hf, although that
is a secondary purpose.  They use other antenna fields for primary hf
air to ground.  Domestic air to ground is all vhf.  Each ARTCC has many
remote vhf transmitter/receiver sites for air to ground, linked back to
the ARTCC by wire or microwave.

73 bob de w9ge