Re: [TowerTalk] Standing up 90 ft of 25G

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Standing up 90 ft of 25G
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 06:06:11 -0400
They got it up, so it works.  You will notice just how  robust Rohn
towers are.   Very little sag on that thing as it was being cranked up.
Also, not much weight on the top which helped them be successful.
Whoever rigged her was very lucky or took all of the load factors into
account in designing the erection fixture and lift point(s).

Would I do it?  Now way.  I'd use a crane to pick it up from the top, or
at least 2/3 up.   This would put far less load on the base angle and
mid point section joints  and be much safer.  Or stack it with a gin pole.

The video is scary in that there are no safety precautions taken by any
of the workers,  No hard hats, no obvious safety officer directing
things etc.  The guys walking under the tower would not have stood a
chance of getting away if there had been a failure.

 I hope they guyed it properly.  I know of Rohn 25 that high guyed with
clothesline rope.  Now that is scary!  Again, not the recommended method
of doing the job.   73 bob de w9ge