Re: [TowerTalk] whole house surge protectors

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] whole house surge protectors
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 04:30:04 -0700
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:47:28 -0500, Tom Anderson wrote:

>He said many strikes, surges, etc. come into the house via
>phone lines, TV cable, satellite dishes, etc. and often bypass the whole
>house protector before getting into the home electrical system, which is
>why he prefers good single unit protectors when needed.

>Anyway just repeating the .02 of the electrician I've used.

Your electrician assumes that a whole house unit protects against all
hazards. It does NOT. If properly done, it protects against a strike (or
other transient) coming in on the POWER SERVICE. That's a very good thing,
but it isn't all there is to it.

Also, single unit protectors often CAUSE more damage than they prevent. See
my website for more on this.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC
http://audiosystemsgroup.com