Re: [TowerTalk] Force12

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>,"Tim Heger" <n3xx@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force12
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:20:11 -0700
One of the few things a ham can clone easily is an antenna. Most of us have
a pile of aluminum tubing and could easily build a copy of a $2000 antenna
design. There is a great deal of engineering expense in modeling multiband
interlaced antennas and testing them. It is unreasonable to expect a company
to make public the complete details of their designs. I am amazed that some
hams have the gall to ask other hams to copy the info on their antennas and
send it to them.
  On the other hand, it is not likely that a ham would copy the design of a
IC7800. Even there competeters would like to study the details of that type
of design. A manual for a linear amp would seem to me  to be common enough
to publish the manual for that. Just my opinion.
73, Dan, N5AR