Re: [TowerTalk] 160m 1/4 Wave Vertical Results Thus Far...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m 1/4 Wave Vertical Results Thus Far...
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:47:47 -0500
I put this thing on EZNEC and with the information you have provided so
far. I can see no correlation to anything you have measured.  The only
way I could get anything close was to assume a bad piece of coax.  This
antenna should be a good match to 50 ohm coax at around 1.9 MHz (43 ohms
at 1.89 MHz).  Two to 1 SWR bandwidth was 1.78 to 2.01 MHz.  I calculate
the equivalent ground loss resistance to be 8 ohms for your 40 radials.
We are missing some information, maybe something you think is not
significant.

Your first post said the tower was 124 ft 9 inches tall, fed at the 4 ft
3 in point.  The last post said the antenna was 120.5 ft.  Assuming you
haven't changed the tower, the antenna is actually 124 ft 9 in.  That
4.25 ft at the bottom is part of the antenna.  Feeding it at this point
is OK, and it raises the feedpoint impedance by 3 to 4 ohms versus
feeding it at the bottom.  Please describe how the feedline is connected
at this point.  The center should be connected to the top part of the
antenna and shield to the bottom section at the 4.25 ft point, and the
shield of the coax should also be connected at the bottom at the point
where the radials are connected.  This won't change the impedance any,
but it will remove some of the RF from the coax shield.  If the
connection at the bottom is not made, the shield of the coax will also
act as part of the antenna, but in this case the contribution should be
small and I don't think it will account for the measurements you are
getting.

The information K1TTT gave you about the feedline transforming the
impedance is correct, but this antenna should be close to 50 ohms for
the configuration you have, and so there should be little transformation
of the resonant frequency (assuming good coax), certainly not enough to
account for the measurements you are getting.  The fact that you get
something very different means that the measured data now has little
meaning because there WILL be frequency translation, apparently from
some other problem.  More information might discover it.  Got any
pictures?  Possibilities: Bad coax, improper connection of the coax,
other close objects also resonant on 160, faulty SWR meter, an extremely
strong local AM station.  If you will provide the information as to how
the guy wires are broken up, I will add that to the simulation to look
for any problems.

Jerry, K4SAV