Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Pictorial Description of their products

To: res1q6fs <roger.white@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Pictorial Description of their products
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 21:21:49 -0700
They sell a set of "calcs" for ~$25.  I bought them for my
HDX-5106 and noticed they were full of obvious and not so
obvious errors.  Also, the base info they furnished was wrong,
calling out 1 1/4 inch bolts, where 1 1/8 is required.
Fortunately, I measured the holes in the base and discovered
this.

Another issue to keep in mind regarding building permits is
that, while you can check dimensions vs the calcs, you can't
check grade of steel used.  UST told me they use various
grades of steel for the same tower design as some customers
pay extra for extra strength.  Thus it is not clear to me that
you really know what steel is used in any particular tower.
"HDX-555" only refers to the dimensions of the tower, not
the strength.  Basically, the building department has to take your word
for it that the tower has the grade of steel you say it does.
It is interesting that they let you get away with this, while
often requiring a strength test of the concrete.  Anyone ever hear
of a tower falling down because the cement base disintegrated?

Rick N6RK