Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Pictorial Description of their products

To: towertalk@contesting.com, nv8a@att.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower Pictorial Description of their products
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 22:03:25 EDT

In a message dated 10/2/2007 9:02:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I found the documentation confusing, however, and not just  because I'm
not an engineer: the foundation dimensions on the Web site are  different
from those in the printed docs. I received, and I think there  were
discrepancies within the printed docs. as well. When I asked for
clarification, about all I could get was "follow the  instructions."

    To reiterate, tower manufacturers are insurance  driven enterprises. They
are loathe to give you any information due to risk  exposure.

    The drawings on the website are for sales  illustration purposes and
aren't real "drawings".

>  Another  point: I saw people here reporting that they had been advised by
UST to  lubricate the sliding "bearings" of the tower sections with
beeswax,  whereas my printed docs. said to use automotive grease. This
time, when I  asked for clarification, they replied: "Yes, we've changed
our  recommendation but haven't yet updated the docs."

Okay, now that we everything about beeswax  applications, no one addressed
the real question which is "Is there anything  needed for leg lubrication?"
Some
years ago they used a thick grease, now they  use beeswax DURING ASSEMBLY so
the sections will slide easily back and forth  DURING ASSEMBLY.

    If you recognize the LXC Prime Directive to "DO  what the manufacturer
says', you'll know that's my normal attitude. In this  case I suggest
disregarding the company advice to lube the legs.

    The basic question is do the legs need  lubricating? Umm, not really. The
amount of wear caused by several hundred  cycles of extending and retracting
the tower is pretty small. I've never  seen a leg that had fatal wear
problems.

    I don't care which one you want to use, it's  danged difficult to apply
either one of them. And if you do, how long does an  application last?

    You can only really reach the inside of a leg to  lube it when it's fully
extended. DO NOT lube this tower! Okay, it's  retracted. Now what do you do?
Maybe you could pour hot beeswax down the legs  but is it worth the hassle and
mess? Methinks not.

    How long is it going to last? Several months?  Maybe more, maybe less. Is
it worth it to do it a couple of times a year. If  it was my tower, I
probably wouldn't bother.

    OTOH please feel free to lubricate the cables and  anything else that
needs it; e.g. zerk fittings, thrust bearing, etc. My $.02.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams