[TowerTalk] Wooden Poles;Vibrations, Vortex Shedding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wooden Poles;Vibrations, Vortex Shedding
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 04:51:27 -0700 (PDT)
Recently, sitting in the shack with some local hams... I was leaning back in
the command chair,  feet comfortably on the desk...
  A question was raised about an issue that needed a numerical answer... I was
comfortable and loath to sit up and bring up the calculator on the  computer
screen...
  With my head cradled in my hands I am looking up the wall behind me... On the
shelf above my head, sticking out, was a log-log-antilog slip stick in it's
leather case, from my youth of nearly 60 years ago...
  I casually reached up and pulled down the slide rule...  As I pulled it from
it's case, one of the younger fellas looked at me and said, "you gotta be
sh**in me."
  "Nope.". I said... Remember we put men on the moon with these gadgets...
<meanwhile I am sweating bullets trying to remember how to do this>
  A second later I confidently read off the answer...
  "Yup", they all agreed, "that's right."
  "Now I've seen everything.", said the young fella, just shaking his head...
  While I didn't let on, I was pleased to still be able to do something I
haven't done it 30 years...

denny / k8do