Re: [TowerTalk]ÂWooden Poles;Vibrations, Vortex Shedding

To: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk]ÂWooden Poles;Vibrations, Vortex Shedding
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 14:47:45 +0200 (CEST)
Dennis said:
>A second later I confidently read off the answer...
"Yup", they all agreed, "that's right."
"Now I've seen everything.", said the young fella, just shaking his head...
While I didn't let on, I was pleased to still be able to do something I haven't
done it 30 years...<
More frightening - I was visiting the other week with a guy my age (60) that I
was at school with. Helping him with the shopping, he asked "Â36.00 for 12
bottles of wine, how much is that per bottle?" Then he wanted to know what
17.5% sales tax would be. I'd done in my head before he could punch the buttons
on his mobile phone's calculator - and I'm not that good at mental arithmetic.
But he ought to have been able to divide 36 by 12 in his head....calculators
make people lazy - and all too often, lead them to believe crazy answers..look
at the mix-ups in converting lbs/litres/kilograms etc.
The moral is that if you're using a calculator (or a spread sheet for that
matter) for antenna/ tower calculations, do a sanity check on the answers. It
could save a lot of grief - and bent alumium!
73
Peter G3RZP