Re: [TowerTalk] IC-706 and Receiving Ant's

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] IC-706 and Receiving Ant's
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:16:09 -0400
I just use a footswitch to switch two relays.  One is a coax relay
that selects the transmit antenna or the RX antenna.  The other is a
3PDT relay that allows me to do a few things:

1) Lock out transmit on the rig when the RX antenna is selected
(enabled by a microswitch on my antenna switch).  My radio has a "TX
Inhibit" pin that precludes RF output when it's held in some state...
either 5V or GND, don't remember which.  Anyway, I still seem to need
a diode limiter and resistor on my preamp output but this keeps me
from cooking the limiter.

2) Detune my transmit antenna

3) Light up a little "RX" light to remind me that the RX interlock is on ;-)

That said, if your preamp doesn't have a diode clamp like mine (and
maybe it shouldn't for distortion reasons), you shouldn't trust
anything but a time-delay sequencer to protect it.

I thought I could do it with careful foot timing but I had to replace
the transistor in mine twice before I put the diode protection on.