Re: [TowerTalk] HAZER guying

To: <mecker@peoplepc.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HAZER guying
From: "Arthur Trampler" <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:30:58 -0500
Marc,

First, I am assuming your tower is tall enough to require two (or more) sets
of guys.  I have a free (to me) Glen Martin, 50' tower, 18" on a side that I
will be putting up within the next six months.  At 50' it needs one set of
guys, but I am taking it up to 60' and will need to add a second level of
guys.

Here is my approach.

I am getting stainless steel flat stock, perhaps 5/16" x 3", or 5/16" x 4",
and cutting it into three pieces, each perhaps 12" in long.  I haven't
figured the exact length for the bend, but at the appropriate distance
(about 7.8") will have them bent 120 degrees.  The three pieces will be
joined with two to four bolts on each leg, where they meet, and then a
U-Bolt fit at the end near the tower leg.

To provide vertical support I have a couple of ideas.  What I am leaning
toward is using 1" stainless bar, by 2" length, and cutting (having them
cut) with a 60 degree angle.  I will drill and tap these on both sides, and
machien screw them to the insides of the tower legs, which on this tower are
angular.  This will provide my vertical support.

In your situation, if you like this design, I perhaps run a piece of channel
steel across the web of the tower (the horizontal webbing) across the two
sides that are free of the hazer.  U-Bolt the channel to the webbing, and
set the piece to hold the guy wires on it.  I don't think it would have to
be attached, but it could be easily enough.

To this way you have three pieces of stock (I guess painted carbon steel
would work), three bends in a brake, and six to twelve holes to join them.
The rest is just the channel stock with two u-bolts.

What do you think?

73,
Art, KC2G