Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Bad news for BPL = Good news for us

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Bad news for BPL = Good news for us
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 22:43:17 -0400
This is straying toward being OT, but OTOH it does directly affect our
ability to hear and operate.

On thing to remember about BPL and repeaters. Repeaters are only needed
where they are going to be providing signals to users. BPL is not a stand
alone system.  It requires a *conventional* system be it cable, fiber, or
wireless that is essentially in parallel with the MV power lines. Even in
high density areas periodic refeeds are necessary. I believe the last figure
I saw was on the order of one refeed every three or four repeaters. IOW they
need to refeed about once a mile. That may be better now and it certainly
would be in low noise, sparsely settled areas. So for BPL to work they have
to install a conventional system as well. In the end for the consumer the
only advantage I see is the ability to plug into most any outlet for
connectivity. BPL costs far more due to the requirement of two systems, but
that cost is eaten by the government (IE subsidies). A $50 million
government loan was just given to several states (Michigan is one) to serve
105,000 customers. they are looking at areas already served by conventional
means, or areas where the conventional systems are available if not in use.
Remember too, according to news reports, there are hundreds of thousands of
miles of "dark fiber" out there.

My point though is when you get down to one or two customers per mile they
are going to be using a refeed for almost every customer. In that case it
doesn't make sense to install the equipment to couple the conventional
system to the power line and then feed the customer when they could have
gone direct from the feeding system to the customer for far less cost. IOW
it would cost less to just provide the conventional system that would
provide better performance and reliability. Even remote meter reading could
be done the same way for far less cost. Of course as has already been
mentioned, there already is a low frequency system  that works quite well
for remote meter reading.

73

Roger (K8RI)