Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Dilemma...Help me decide!

To: "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Dilemma...Help me decide!
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:48:05 -0700 (PDT)
David Gilbert wrote:

> If it were me, I'd crank that puppy up as high as I could get it.
>

> Bill Turner wrote:
>> 2. Higher is not always better. On the low bands especially, even DX
>> signals often arrive from high angles. If you really want to improve
>> your DXing, go to Beverages and four-squares, etc. The height
>> advantage you are talking about will hardly be noticeable.
>>

>> 73, Bill W6WRT

In actual A/B tests listening to on the air signals, I found
that an inverted vee at 115 ft had ~10 dB stronger signals on
DX and ~10 dB weaker signals on locals than a similar antenna
60 ft high.  This would be important for use as a transmit antenna.
The higher antenna didn't hear any better on DX because both signals and
noise were equally increased with height.  Note that even at 115
ft on 80, the angle of arrival is still fairly high.  It is just not
straight up as with the 60 ft cloud warmer.

Rick N6RK