[TowerTalk] Name this antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Name this antenna
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:56:27 -0500
You are thinking of the article "Everything Works" which was in QST in
July 2000.
Tom Schiller tells the story of a trip to Saipan to operate in a contest.  They
brought a 100 w. rig and started out with a 3 el. yagi but by twilight
15 meters
had started to die.  They were offered the use of the dipole curtain
antennas on
the other end of the island that were normally used by Far East
Broadcasting Co.
These overlooked the ocean on a cliff.  I think each curtain had
around 60 dipoles
hanging vertically in front of a screen.
N6BT wrote that when they connected the curtain's open wire feed to a
balun and coax
to the rig and fired it up the previously dead 15 meters came alive
with signals,
sounding like it was mid-day.  I think he wrote that with 100 w. they
were around
40 dB over 9 into Afganistan.  The point of the story was that
"Everything Works"
but some antennas work better than others.

73,

rob / k5uj

<<<Somewhere I read a story written by N6BT about being on Saipan a number of
years ago, at a VOA transmitting site.  He said they were fooling around on
the ham bands with a tribander, not hearing much, when the big antenna went
off the air for the night, and they briefly hooked their radio up to it and
pointed it toward the US - he said it was like being there...>>>