Re: [TowerTalk] FLooded shrink tubing?? Can you remove it??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FLooded shrink tubing?? Can you remove it??
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:49:27 +0000
Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>> Please can we confirm what is meant by 'flooded' heat shrink tubing? Are
>> we talking about tubing that is coated internally with fairly normal
>> type of hot-melt glue... or can it also be something else?
>
>"Usually" the compound is, or is the equivelant of hot melt glue which
>lines the inside of the tubing in a thin layer. However there are other
>types which we as hams don't *normally* run across. I've never seen it,
>but at least one other on here has been using it.

Thanks for the confirmation, Roger. Heat shrink tubing lined with hot
melt glue is readily available in Europe. I use it a lot for
waterproofing, and also to increase the pull strength on small
connectors and cables.

Yes, it does peel off quite easily after slitting with a knife. If the
connector is going to be re-used with heat shrink, there is no point in
removing any scabby residues of glue (think of it as a 'primer coat' for
next time).

Before applying the heat shrink, it is also possible to add extra glue
from a glue gun - for example, to fill the gap around the rear of the
connector where the tubing doesn't shrink down very well. This gives the
connector even better pull strength, and it will still peel off if
needed.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek