Re: [TowerTalk] mast and bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mast and bearing
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:32:02 -0500

> Larry,
>
> Will this work;
>
> http://www.glenmartin.com/industrial/pg18.htm

It depends on what goes on the mast but if not large I'd clamp the mast
between couple of  2 X 4s or 2 X 6s with through bolts and washers. I let it
tighten at an angle so one leg of the tower is also clamped between them.

Another route is to just take a 2" pieces of steel angle, drill and bolt it
to the rotator plate. Then using a "muffler clamp" that will fit the mast,
"U-bolt" it to the angle. Note, plain muffler clamps are uncoated steel and
rust rapidly.  Saddle clamps work much better but cost a lot more. All are
far cheaper than using a commercial mast clamp.

I've used both methods sucessfully. Just don't expect them to keep a large
array from turning.

73

Roger (K8RI)