Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL moxon

To: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL moxon
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:56:39 -0800
As I pointed out earlier, the element stepping for the CD is different than the element stepping for the XM. AA6PW and I were investigating this last month and had both sets of manuals in front of us as we figured out the tubing requirements. Some stepping conversion is in order for the CD.

I had sent an e-mail to W6NL, who offered to help, but was a little busy at the time...

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:09:54 -0700 From: Leeson <leeson@earthlink.net> To: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com> Subject: Re: W6NL 40M Moxon..

Hi Dino,

Up to my ears just now but will reply within a few days about the current status of the 'NL Moxon project. Sorry to be slow, our building contractors require constant supervision and arm waving...

Dave

Dino Darling wrote:
Hello Gents!
AA6PW (multiple Visalia plaque winner and contester extraordinaire) just suffered a minor tower mishap when his Fulton winch on a TX-455 tower, failed. The tower was being cranked down in preparation for some upcoming winds and was about halfway down when the spool free wheeled.

The good news is we get to rebuild his Cushcraft 402CD!
The better news is that I'm hoping to convince him to convert that marvel of engineering to Dave's moxon design! I do so much tower and antenna work here in Southern CA that I have 'oodles of raw materials and the ability to fabricate just about anything. I have enough aluminum tubing to build one from scratch on a 3" boom if necessary.

I am in possession of the 2004 Dayton powerpoint presentation, the 2007 powerpoint presentation, the GIF of the element layouts, the AO file etc. Is there any other hints or tips you could think we should have?

I saw a comment about interlacing a 30-meter element on the same boom.
Have any plans been put together to interlace these? Again, I have the qualified materials and abilities to build this antenna, just lacking the "design" chops.

While a 4-element OWA design on 40 would be fun, it will not fit on a city lot. This Moxon would work GREAT however!

In the spirit of Amateur Radio and contesting camaraderie, could you offer any advise or assistance? Dave, would you like to come down to Southern CA when the antenna goes up?

Dino - K6RIX
<mailto:dino@k6rix.com>dino@k6rix.com