Re: [TowerTalk] Archives

To: "'Artmouton'" <k5fnq@cox.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Archives
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:52:51 -0500
Art,

I'm oceanfront her (ocean 300'  to the West, Bay 350' to the East on the
southern tip of the island) and that is the reason I bought my SteppIR 3
element!

Aluminum yagis required (still do) maintenance every 18-24 months here.
This ocean outside does a number on the joints, coax, and especially the
rotors.  My SteppIR has been up for over four years now (and through two
hurricanes) with no problems.  I check it periodically and the seals work as
they should.  Not so with my two A4S's and the 402CD.  I still need to
service them every 18-24 months.  Rotors last about 18-24 months as well.  I
just replaced two runs of coax that appeared to be well sealed, but the
SWR's kept getting better and better over a broad range, and sure enough the
ocean was eating 'em.

Get the SteppIR, best antenna I've ever used (and I've used most of them.)

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"