Re: [TowerTalk] Fiber optics for amateur radio..

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fiber optics for amateur radio..
From: "Leigh L. Klotz, Jr." <Leigh@WA5ZNU.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 00:05:49 -0800
When we did some house work, I ran eBay fiber through the walls and
replaced my ethernet card with a 10 megabit fiber card; same as a
10BaseT card except it has an Agilent fiber transducer instead of the
magnetics.  The card was $10 on eBay.  All the fiber runs to where the
DSL demarc is, and there's a 10baseT converter there, variously free to $30.

I tried a project using hobby fiber and IR for a PSK interface, but the
120Hz from fluorescent lights was a killer for simple AM.  I thought
about a PLL-based FM solution, but that started to put more RF sensitive
parts in the loop, and didn't look like it would solve the problem of
running PSK portable near the antenna.

73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU