[TowerTalk] Grounding an Insulated Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding an Insulated Tower
From: "Richard L. King" <k5na@ecpi.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:09:45 +0000
Hi everyone. HNY.

I am near completion of a 155 foot 25G tower with an insulator 30
feet above ground to use on 160M. I am interested in techniques for
grounding for lightning protection and to bleed off noise from rain
static, etc.

The tower will be fed directly with the coax to the upper insulated
part and the coax shield will be connected to several raised radials.
The coax and the radials will NOT be connected to earth ground at the tower.

I am worried that a direct lightning hit might cause me sever
problems if I cannot bleed it off somehow. I have thought about
lightning spark gaps and maybe a large inductor between the insulated
section and the lower part of the tower, but not sure how that will
work and what should be the values of those components.

I do plan to ground the lower, unattached, section of the tower with
ground rods.

Thanks.

73, Richard - K5NA