To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 61, Issue 18
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:20:41 EST

In a message dated 1/9/2008 9:02:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

frohro@wallawalla.edu>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Permanent Trolley for  Rotor and antenna.....
To: towertalk  <towertalk@contesting.com>

Hi Everyone,

I am in the dreaming mode (after my  antenna tower crashed, see
http://joyinthemorninglight.blogspot.com).   Have any of you made a
permanent trolley system for a guyed tower where the  rotor rides in a
trolley that is supported between two permanent trolley  cables that are
separated by a space to withstand the torque.  The  advantage of this
system is that you can quickly raise and lower the beam  and rotor and
beam.  It allows you to adjust things, and when a big  wind comes along,
you can have your beam tied on the ground.  The tram  lines just help the
guys, and you survive the wind storm (hopefully).   I expect it works
better with a beefy guyed tower.  My elmer, KL7C,  did something like
this in Anchorage when I was a teenager.  I've  wanted to try it ever
since.  Here is a photo of AB5K's temporary  system of similar nature.
http://www.ab5k.net/Images%5CDualTram%5CWe2f2.jpg  I would expect that
the tram lines would be tight with a back stay on the  tower, and the
separation would need to be perhaps 6 feet.  It could  employ a motorized
winch to raise and lower.  There could be a way to  lock the trolley onto
the tower at the top that could be remotely  disengaged to lower the
antenna.  It seems it might have some of the  advantages of a crank up
without the cost.