To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 61, Issue 20
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:20:42 EST

In a message dated 1/10/2008 5:23:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

1n9tgr@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi vs Quad
To:  towertalk@contesting.com

Hi Guys,

Im  sure this question may of come up before but I am new to the list and
thought  I might give it a try.I lost my tower just before Christmas in a bad
storm and  now face the task of replacing everthing.The antenna I had was a 4el
5b quad  on a 30ft boom fed with seperate feedlines,it worked extremely good
and was  easily heard in the pileups.I am contemplating switching to a yagi
type
 antenna because I just dont have the time to set up another quad or the time
 for the maintenance that comes with them.
I know a lot of the yagi  guys are using force 12s and steppers and was
wondering how they play in the  real world.Two of the antennas that caught my
eye
were the 4el stepper  6-40mtrs or the force12 5ba topped with a force 12
230/240.
The  antennas will be mounted on a 70ft plus tower,I need to keep the boom
lengths  around 30ft as I live in the city on a small lot,I will be running
legal limit  and prefer to stay away from trapped antennas as I like to run
rtty
and dont  want the hassle of replacing traps .due to overheating.I will be
using a  remote relay switch so seperate feedlines are not an issue.My main
bands
of  interest are 20-15-40 in that order but I would like the flexibility of
using  the warc bands without the need to an external tuner.