Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?

To: DENNIS BRICKEY <n4dd@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:01:46 -0500
At 02:26 PM 2/4/2008, DENNIS BRICKEY wrote:
>It calls for sealing of the connections with
>RTV.  What kind of RTV is recommended by the masses.

You definitely want to use a non-corrosive type of RTV.

The general purpose RTV you'll find at the local
hardware store is most likely to be an acetoxy
cure RTV which releases acetic acid as a
by-product. The sniff test is that a corrosive
RTV will smell like vinegar while curing.

You want to use an RTV that is intended to be
used on electronics, one that has an oxime cure
or alkoxy cure.  Most manufacturers offer both
general purpose (corrosive) and electronics
(non-corrosive) RTV sealants, you just have to
look a bit harder to find a non-corrosive RTV. At
work we use the Dow-Corning line of RTVs which are non=corrosive.

The other thing about using RTV is that RTV needs
to be exposed to moisture to cure. So you don't
want to cover up RTV with anything like tape or
other sealants at least until the full cure time
of the RTV, otherwise the RTV will never fully harden but rather remain tacky.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu