Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:25:00 -0500
At 12:03 PM 2/5/2008, Jim Lux wrote:
>Michael Keane K1MK wrote:
>
>>The other thing about using RTV is that RTV needs to be exposed to
>>moisture to cure.
>
>I believe this is only true for the one-part RTVs..  the two part
>RTVs do not require exposure to moisture, and tend to outgas less.
>
>I suppose it comes down to whether one wants caulk or a potting compound.

That's correct. A two-part RTV is needed for use in enclosed spaces
or when used as a molding or potting compound.

Because the curing proceeds from the outside in, the cure time for a
one-part RTV sealant is a (non-linear) function of thickness. A
typical RTV might cure to a thickness of 75 mils in 24 hours,
1/4-inch in 72 hours and 1/2-inch in two weeks.

With care in its application, RTV will produce a conformal seal that
can be cut and peeled off later (if necessary) just like a tape wrap.

>Either type is available from the usual mail-order sources (Newark,
>Mouser, Allied)

McMaster-Carr carries electrical-grade, one-part RTVs as well.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu