Re: [TowerTalk] New Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Antennas
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:05:49 -0600
Something like an XM240 at 65 feet will easily beat a four square or a 3
element vertical.  The take-off angle of the XM240 will be slightly
higher than the 4 square, but the XM240 will have more gain than the 4
square at all angles.

You can probably get away with putting an 80/160 vertical in the center
of a 40 meter 4 square, but there is one possibility that could mess it
up. If the transmission line to the 80/160 antenna happens to look like
an open stub on 40 (for example half wave on 40 with the far end open)
then the unused 80/160 will resonate on 40 and destroy the 4 square
pattern.  Avoid this situation and you should be OK.

Jerry, K4SAV