Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-450XL Antenna Rotor Problems

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-450XL Antenna Rotor Problems
From: JMLTINC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:49:19 EST
Well, it is possible you got some RF into the unit, but they  are meant to
operate in an RF environment. And I do not believe in  coincidences, but this
one is worth a try.

The indicator is run by a DC motor driving a gear reduction system  through a
belt. The Overlap LED is told to illuminate by the control box (not  the
rotor). As I remember, my older 800 has a cam geared on the gear unit  that
trips
a switch to indicate overlap. My newer, 1000, uses a comparator that  reads
the position pot inside the control unit (also rotated by the  gear reduction).

A slipping or broken belt or an intermittent motor (they are  brushed PM
units) will cause all sorts of erratic and confusing dial behavior. I  had a
motor
go bad, and it too, would sometimes run under transmit. I cannot  explain why
it did so; the brushes were bad. But it did.

Worth a check.

-John, N9RF

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)