[TowerTalk] Rohn 45/55/65 vs. AB-105 or Stainless 25?

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45/55/65 vs. AB-105 or Stainless 25?
From: Rob Frohne <frohro@wallawalla.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:54:28 -0800
Greetings,

I am planning a 100 foot tower for about 20 square feet of antennas, and
possibly more later if the tower is strong enough.  I'm trying to decide
if I prefer Rohn 45, 55, 65, AB-105 or Stainless tower.  Most of my
experience has been on Rohn 25 tower.  One of the towers I haven't yet
looked at is supposed to be Rohn 45, but 20 foot sections.  (I haven't
yet laid my eyes on the tower, so I have some suspicion that it may not
be Rohn 45.)  I have also located some towers that were at a big VOA
transmitter site in the midwest that are made by Stainless and are 24"
on a side, and seem very beefy, but I don't have any engineering data.
They are in 25 foot sections and each weighs around 450 lbs. so I would
need a crane to erect the that tower, and it doesn't have the rotor
plate and other hardware particular to most amateur installations so
that would have to be fabricated.  The AB-105 tower has been in amateur
use for years, comes in 5' or 10' sections, and all the necessary
hardware is there including mounting plates for my prop pitch.  It is
the older AB-105, and I would have to drive about three hours to get
it.

How comfortable are each of these towers to work on?  Which is your
favorite and why?

73,

Rob, KL7NA