Re: [TowerTalk] POLE STEPS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] POLE STEPS
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:31:34 -0400 (EDT)
Gaffs are a bad idea for trees that you want to keep.  I have, and
have used, a set of tree climbing spikes.  I also feel the same way
about the hunters climbing steps.  They leave open wounds into the
living parts of the tree. If I put in permanent pole steps which will
tend to seal the wound they make, I'm protecting, as best I can, the
health of the tree, while still using that tree.

I'm climbing a tree, where most of my hand and foot holds are limbs.
I HAVE to be careful of every one of them.  The pole steps will be
used to help me over some gaps in the limbs, from necessary pruning.
I can climb without them, but I'll be safer with them.

And I'm climbing 60 feet above ground- only a tree-mounted ladder will
do that, and manipulating that ladder has its own risks.

I'm not a professional arborist, but I've been climbing trees for 50+
years, own a tree farm (pulpwood and saw timber) and pay attention to
the health of trees in many environments.  I've gotten professional
advice, too.  The pruning I do, with care and thought, prevents
pruning by people who will use less of that.

I've also climbed masts and rigging to 100' on sailing ships,
including in the Southern Ocean.

All in all, I'm safer with pole steps in the tree than without.  I'd
be even safer if I stayed on the ground, and in 20 years, I'll
probably do that.

Thanks for the help, though.  And even for your opinions, even if I
think they're wrong.

73, doug

   Message: 6
   Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:16:43 -0600
   From: "TOMMY HALIBURTON" <ROCKETJ10@MSN.COM>

     Doug,

     I agree with respect to integrity. I was a "knuckle-dragger"
     (Outside Plant Installer - Lineman) and never, ever trusted steps
     ("Not no way and not no how"). Gaffs were the only way to go.

     IMHO, Do not buy used steps as you are asking for trouble. Good
     luck in your venture.