Re: [TowerTalk] Full body harness

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Full body harness
From: Joe Jaffer <gridsquare@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:15:34 -0400
I also have a Miller harness for fall protection that I use for
roof/construction work and a Gemtor which has more places to latch in and is
much more confortable.  They are similar in appearance, but the real difference
is obvious when you actually try to suspend from both of them.
I discovered very quickly that the Miller would protect me from a fall but got
extremely uncomfortable very quickly.  The Gemtor was much more tolerable and
didn't make suspending such a miserable experience.  Those who are familliar
with the response time of qualified rescue teams in rural areas can tell you it
may take a little while to get you down if you're hurt during a climb.  Your
work partner also may or may not be qualified or able to get your down from a
working height if you're hurt.  The money spent on a harness you're comfortable
with can ultimately make the best of a bad situation, which is what all of us
bought harnesses for in the first place.
Possibly redundant, but that's my two cents.

Joe

N3PKC

> From: towertalk@n4zkf.com> To: w9ac@arrl.net; towertalk@contesting.com> Date:
> Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:15:19 -0400> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Full body harness> >
> > Miller makes a light one that works fine for running up the tower and
> doing> some work.> DBI/SALA also make a nice one.> > For hanging in the air
> for hours I prefer a DBI/SALA Exofit. They are more> money but> easier on the
> butt and legs after hanging for some time. It weighs more also> but has a>
> removable butt sling.> > Dave> n4zkf> > > -----Original Message-----> From:
> towertalk-bounces@contesting.com> [mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com]
> On Behalf Of Paul Christensen> Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:56 PM> To:
> towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Full body harness> > > The
> conversation on this reflector has pointed me in the proper safe > >
> direction and now I am looking for personal experiences with the full > >
> body harness and fall arrest.> > Probably the most important item at the time
> of o
 rder is an intangible that> cannot be purchased on-line: Proper training and
use of the harness. I am> amazed at the number of folks who will purchase a
full-body harness, not> knowing the first safety-related issue before they
ascend a tower.> > I routinely draft contracts on behalf of my commercial
clients with the> stipulation that unless a contracted worker has been put
through recognized> tower training and rescue course (e.g., Comtrain), they are
unauthorized to > touch a tower and its components. You cannot completely buy
your way into > safety.> > Paul, W9AC> > >
 nfo/towertalk