Re: [TowerTalk] whole house surge protectors

To: "'Mike'" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>, "'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] whole house surge protectors
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:52:03 -0500
I have had excellent results with the following items made by Cutler-Hammer:

SurgeTrap CHSPMAX (AC power lines)
SurgeTrap DHW4PT (handles up to 4 Telco lines)
SurgeTrap DCXCAB2 (handles up to 2 cable/sat coax lines)

They should be available at electrical supply firms who carry Cutler-Hammer
products.  I don't think they are a retail product. I purchased these about
4 years ago so the model numbers may have changed.

As has been pointed out by others on this list, the way to deploy these
things is in conjunction with other good single-point grounding practices
and other protection at the equipment.  These particular units are mounted
just below my power entrance panels and everything (power, telco, cable, ham
radio, etc) is connected together inside and to ground just on the outside
of the wall.

Since building this house 4 years ago we have had multiple "close" strikes
that have done considerable damage in neighbors' houses but the only thing
we have noticed is one GFI socket that "went bad".  It may have been bad to
start with but the lightning seemed to put it over the edge.

I have two wire antennas up about 65' in the pine trees and as far as I know
they have not taken a direct hit.  However, trees within 50' have been hit
so I know the strikes were close.  I have lightning arrestors on the ground
below the antennas and then the single-point grounding when the coax gets
inside.  So far, no equipment of any kind (except that GFI plug) has shown
any effects from the lightning.

We do have a 10KW generator (natural gas) that kicks in if power goes out.
All equipment in my office/ham shack operates via UPS units.  This includes
my Orion and several computers.  Since I do computer forensic work I don't
want to be in the middle of some two or three-day long process and have a
"blip" in the power feed shut down anything. It is nice to be able to sit
here and watch the lights go out and the Orion and the computers never
notice a thing.

1138 Waters Edge Circle - Shreveport, LA 71106
    318-797-4972 (office) - 318-393-3289 (cell)
        Computer Consulting and Forensics