Re: [TowerTalk] ma550 guying

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ma550 guying
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 06:37:11 -0400
I recommend following the manufacturer's plans and specifications
to the letter.  To substantiate this advice, I offer the following
classic good news, bad news, "war" story from my days as
a trial lawyer:

The good news:

I worked a personal injury case with another lawyer, wherein
the Plaintiff claimed he was injured when a amateur radio tower
fell down and struck him (mostly in the head).  The jury found
the tower manufacturer negligent in how it designed the way
one had to setup and install the tower - and awarded the Plaintiff
$1 Million in damages.

Hmmm... not bad, you say...

But wait... there's more!  There is the bad news:

My state recognizes what is called "comparative negligence" -
and, accordingly, the Jury is instructed to reduce the total
damages awarded to a successful Plaintiff in direct proportion
to the degree it finds the Plaintiff was HIMSELF negligent in
causing his own injuries.

So... the Jury also found our Plaintiff 95% negligent in the
setup and installation of the tower, and, thus, the damage
award was reduced by the same percentage!

- - - -

MORAL OF THE STORY => If you want the manufacturer to be liable for
any and all injuries or losses sustained as a result of negligent or
unsafe design or manufacturer,... then be careful, and follow all
manufacturer instructions to the letter - lest YOU also be found
negligent in causing the loss.

And now you know why I will HIRE SOMEONE to erect MY TOWER this
summer.  Experienced.  Trained.  Bonded.  Insured.  AND LIABLE.

I will be out of town.

Just my take.   Your mileage may vary depending on circumstances,
state law, and amount of luck you might have.