Re: [TowerTalk] grounding to tower legs

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding to tower legs
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 13:40:48 -0400
Gregg Seidl wrote:
> I've got the 2 new towers in cement and buried the conduit in the cement.One
> for feedlines, 4 inches and 3 for grounding the legs.What is the way to
> connect a ground wire to those legs?I've used those clamps on my other
> towers and they seem to work well.I have some that show no loss on my ohm
> meter after 19 years of use.But,is there a better way?Those clamps don't
> have a very big hole for the wire,I think maybe an 8 or 6 gauge is it.I
> think I used 8 gauge because I had it.I don't think I'm doing it to grade
> but I'm doing the grounding the best I can with what I have.I'm willing to
> take the risk.Besides if you take a direct shot there is little that can be
> done,SOMETHING will get fried. Any ideas?  Gregg  K9KL

There's lightning and then there's lightning.   IOW, like people each
bolt is an individual. They vary from big and strong to little and weak
with most being somewhere in between.  My tower has taken an average of
three, verified strikes a year since its been up. How many actual
strikes? I don't know.  It wasn't  hit at all last summer and took 5 the
previous summer.   Out of those I've had no real damage  other than the
plating on the connectors "up there" is looking pretty ratty.  Actually,
most of the silver plating is gone.  I don't normally disconnect
anything during a storm.

I do have to take the antennas down for work, but none of that is due to
the lightning strikes.  So, a good ground system can minimize damage or
even eliminate it from the smaller strikes. Nothing will save you from
the really big super strikes, but again a really good ground system
should minimize the damage.

Roger (K8RI)